Re: TM-V71 and WX TX

Rick NK7I

A suggested path:

  • Get a Raspberry Pi (3+ or newer, plenty of power overhead with wifi), [purchase #1]
  • install the IRLP node code (which keeps your Echolink station together; but differently AND adds IRLP);
  • Interface the radio to the Pi [IRLP card ~$100, purchase #2, make SURE you get the Pi version];
  • Use your chosen wx software to take in the USB wx data [interface purchase #3] from the Davis; push it to the net and the node to;
  • add toys (spoken current weather on demand) for you and/or your users and push to CWOP/APRS.

So for a few hundred at most (depending on what you have); easier access and control, new features and the ability to use the data in any way you wish.

I also provide ARRL Audio News and Amateur Radio Newsline on my node; weather alerts (warnings, watches and events) and more (once it's built, it's ALL about the scripting).

Gotta have toys and it sure helps the winter go by.

Happy Solstice day (shorted day of the year in the north),
Rick nk7i

On 12/21/2022 11:59 AM, Danny K5CG wrote:

"I don't see the need to put the radio in Echolink Sysop mode."

Whether you build a GPIO circuit for the Data input's PTT pin or use a USB Serial port and Echolink Sysop for RTS, is simply a matter of preference. direwolf supports either on a Pi.

I don't see the need to have to build anything.

Danny